Lao American Organization of Elgin (LAOE) was formally established in 1996. Prior to 1996, community leaders supported the Lao American community of Elgin through various programs and activities dating back to the 1960's. We are proud to be a service organization with the mission to provide services and assistance to help our community develop and achieve success.
Lao-American Organization of Elgin was incorporated in 1996 with the following missions:
Unite and provide assistance to Laotian refugee, living in the Elgin and its surrounding cities, with emphasis on educational and Social-cultural factors as focal point. In greater detail, the purposes are as follows:
1. To preserve and enhance Lao culture, customs, language, religion, arts and literature, and develop cultural understanding among persons of Lao Origin in the Elgin area;
2. To provide support to Lao-American youth in the areas of education and sports, to the Lao-American elderly in all areas of need; and to facilitate Lao youth in receiving higher education;
3. To develop cultural exchanges and understanding with persons of other national origins who stand for justice, peace and democracy.
4. To co-operate with other civic, cultural, and educational organizations.
5. To open a Lao Museum/Cultural Center.
6. The Corporation is organized exclusively for charitable, educational, religious, or scientific purposes within the meaning of section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.